Known Bugs and Problems in PaleoMag v 2.3.1beta2
- (seems to now work!): Cannot drag windows across multiple screens (this is a Microsoft QuickBasic
bug; short of rewriting the code to use very low level Mac calls, this will not
be fixed until the compiler is upgraded).
- "Extras..." dialog (and a couple others) still does not display the text
background all the time; if all you see are boxes with text inside, hit
"Cancel" and then reopen "Extras...". This has always worked in the past.
- Using the "Identify Points" ability can produce a mess in the corner of the
plot where the identification is posted when using colors.
- PaleoMag does not refresh screens when in the background.
- It appears v2.0 and later does not work on a Mac Plus. Unfortunately I do not
use such a machine; the code does run pretty well on SEs, SE/30s, IIs, IIcis,
and Quadra 700s. It will not run on machines with 32-bit addressing turned on.
This is a compiler bug and isn't likely to be fixed until the program is ported to another language.
- Don't try to add system-7 features (like Balloon Help)--it doesn't work (send a
nasty letter to Microsoft).
- The number of samples/directions shown on the screen when various statistics
are displayed can be incorrect if line and plane data are combined. The
uncertainties, though, should be correct.
- Copying plots to the clipboard is getting to be tougher and tougher--it seems that PaleoMag (through the QuickBasic calls) is not doing something quite right. MacDraw Pro and related programs seem to read these clipboard contents ok; Canvas seems to have trouble. An option is to print to a PICT file using the shareware utility Print2PICT; another is to print to a PostScript file and use epsConverter (shareware) to convert this into an Adobe Illustrator 3 file.
Read how and when these might get fixed
Return to C.H. Jones home page
Return to PaleoMag overview
Craig Jones, email@example.com