PaleoMag 3.1 for Macintosh, Windows and Linux
This is the download page for the increasingly ancient PaleoMag software. I haven't been trying to add features but see this code being cited enough that it seemed worth updating the compilation. Note the download links are well down the page so you are forced to see some of the warnings and whatnot.
7 December 2017. 3.1b6. Fixed files (.LSQ, means, possibly others) being saved with long names and in incorrect locations. Added splash screen on open.
13 June 2016. 3.1b5. Fixed issues with 3.1b4, otherwise the same.
8 June 2016--Pulling the 3.1b4 update as there is some strange issue on the Windows side.
7 June 2016. 3.1b4. A recompile with the latest version of the compiler. This loses support for Classic Mac OS and loses support for resource forks in files; if you need that, use an older build (functionality should be about the same). All the binary i/o changed in the compiler on this release; those using 2G files are urged to check to see if things are OK. This is especially true if you are editing your 2G files in PaleoMag.
Also added bigger icons, enabled Retina (HiDPI) support. Presently compiled as 32 bit applications, but can supply 64 bit if that is an issue.
10 May 2013. 3.1b3. Simply a recompile with latest version of compiler to help iron out bugs from newer OSes.
Version 3.1b1 apparently has some bugs in the feature allowing edited samples to be saved. Please be aware of this and either do not use this feature or only use with caution. PaleoMag was originally written as a non-editing code to avoid this; we suggest only using PaleoMag on a copy of your data in case of difficulty. Some issues are also reported with the Common Means statistic. Finally, we have one report of a serious crash running under Mac OS 10.5 with Parallels running. While this might be a coincidence, if you experienced something similar, please let us know.
This might be corrected in 3.1b2, where a bug in outputting binary 2G format files was corrected. PLEASE let me know if any issues are still present, and be sure to double check anything edited. (As I haven't heard a peep in the years since 3.1b2 was released, presumably this option isn't used or the problem is fixed).
14 June 2009. 3.1b2. Fixed bug where internal change for 2G formats from mass to volume led to an overlong string being output which makes the new output file useless. Compiled now with RealBasic 2009r1.
The ancient (pre-modern memory manager) version 2.3 is
Scroll down to download; full version summary bottom of page
Version 3.1 is closed to new features.
24 October 2006. 3.1b1. (Several internal builds absorbed
41 and 42). Fixed bug in "reverse" function in confirming an LSQ
fit made with the menu command (instead of out of the current fit window).
Added contextual menus to the sample list and LSQ list windows allowing show/hide
and (in LSQ) reversal of direction. Added Non-parametric ("Watson") statistics.
Other changes too (will update later).
How to help
Once you get the code, use it with care--crashes are likely for such a test vehicle.
I doubt any data files will be corrupted, but bugs happen. LSQ files are at risk in
opened sites as we do rewrite those. But overall I think the worst for most users
would simply be a crash.
Of course crashes are useful. If you use the code and test it, please note the machine,
system software version, whether you were using your normal extensions or not.
If you encounter crashes, note what you were doing, what windows were open,
and just what happened after your last action (did a dialog come or go, etc) and
any error code reported. The most likely problems will be out-of-memory
errors as I have not put in place all the checks to assure that there is enough memory;
you can try giving the code more room and seeing if the errors reproduce.
Please get back to me even if you have no problems. It might be most
helpful to know that the code is ok. If I hear nothing, I might just decide
that you all have Matlab scripts or Excel macros that you prefer.
Citation. Please cite the following if you
use PaleoMag in research publications:
Jones, C. H., User-driven Integrated Software Lives: “PaleoMag”
Paleomagnetics Analysis on the Macintosh, Computers and Geosciences,
28 (10), 1145-1151, 2002.
Thanks for your patience. It has been a far longer road than I would have liked.
Dept. Geological Sciences/CIRES
Campus Box 399
University of Colorado at Boulder
Boulder, CO 80503-0216
Download PaleoMag v.3.1
Note that this is only the stand-alone application. No test files or complete
documentation is included at present; the QuickGuide
has basic info. You can look at the hypertext documentation
for v2.3 or examine the files that are in the 2.3 distribution for more
Version b6. Note possible remaining issues on editing files and using common mean test. Also note that binary i/o for 2G format might not be quite right; please provide feedback on success or any issues with 2G binary files. Note that the Windows versions do not use an installer, so the directory containing the executable often has extra junk in it--junk that has to stay in that same directory. Linux versions might require additional libraries
- Mac OS X Intel-32 bit. Really not necessary; here just in case (try 64 bit first). Minimum OS 10.7 (Lion)
- Get zipped
Mac executable of PaleoMag 3.1b6 (5.3 Mb, 7 December 2016)
- Mac OS X Intel-64 bit. Minimum OS 10.7 (Lion). This should be the prefered version for Mac.
- Get zipped
Mac executable of PaleoMag 3.1b6 (6.5 Mb, 7 December 2016)
- Windows-32 bit. Minimum OS Windows 7. Windows must be up to date (if missing dll files, see below)
- Get Zipped
version of PC executable+libraries of PaleoMag 3.1b6 (13.5 Mb, 7 December 2016)
- Windows-64 bit. Minimum OS Windows 7. Windows must be up to date (if missing dll files, see below). So far have not seen this working--let me know if you do have it work as I am unsure that I can test it.
- Get Zipped
version of PC executable+libraries of PaleoMag 3.1b6 (16 Mb, 7 December 2016)
- Linux-32 bit. Minimum OS: Mint 16, Ubuntu 10.04, Debian 6.0, OpenSUSE 11.3, Fedora 13 Desktop, CentOS 6.0
gzipped version of Linux/86 executable of PaleoMag 3.1b6 (15.8 Mb, 7 December 2016)
- Linux-64 bit. Minimum OS: Mint 16, Ubuntu 10.04, Debian 6.0, OpenSUSE 11.3, Fedora 13 Desktop, CentOS 7.0
gzipped version of Linux/86 executable of PaleoMag 3.1b6 (16 Mb, 7 December 2016)
Extra Windows dll files will be needed if using PaleoMag 3.1b6 on a Windows machine without the current updates (particularly the "Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 Update 1"); these files must be unzipped and placed in the same directory as PaleoMag.exe: DLL files for 32-bit Windows or DLL files for 64-bit Windows. [An alternative is to use the Microsoft updater for these files].
Version b3 (older versions on request). Note possible remaining issues on editing files and using common mean test.
- Mac OS X Intel
- Get zipped
Intel version of Mac executable of PaleoMag 3.1b3 (2.6 Mb, 10 May 2013)
- Get Zipped
version of PC executable+libraries of PaleoMag 3.1b3 (3.3 Mb, 10 May 2013)
gzipped version of Linux/86 executable of PaleoMag 3.1b3 (2.8 Mb, 10 May 2013)
Version b2 (older versions on request ). Last version compiled for PPC. Note possible remaining issues on editing files and using common mean test.
- Mac OS X PowerPC
- Get zipped
PPC version of Mac executable of PaleoMag 3.1b2 (2.9 Mb, 14 June 2009)
- *Must* use regular Mac unzipper (BOMArchiveHelper)--StuffIt makes a hash
REALbasic is a registered trademark of REAL Software, Inc.
(But now called Xojo, but I
Specific issues at present
- Common Mean statistic reportedly erratic.
- No interaction with points in strat plot (select/deselect must be from
list or LSQ EQarea)
- Loading LSQ file now seems awfully slow (fixed in d31?)
- Locality EQArea window needs statistics
- Colors in Strat plot not customizable (and not very good either)
- Strat plot limited to 3 panes
- Core direction not supported in Strat plot
- Does not show the ranges of an arc on Strat Plot.
- Improving printing to use the highest resolution on printers (Strat plot
- Statistics keeps vanishing from the pane at the top of the LSQ EQarea plot.
(fixed in d32?)
- Get rid of double drawing (or worse) of LSQ EQarea plot when changing a
- Old error ellipses remain on plot sometimes in LSQ EQarea plot (can resize
image to eliminate them)
- No labels for arcs (would be nice for arcs to not need poles on plot)
- Crashes on close (?--we don't see, but reported)
- Drawing needs to be totally revamped to cut out clumsy refreshes and slow
To do (sort of prioritized)
- Edit data safely (MOSTLY DONE)
- Finish getting Means file used (including VGP stuff) (DONE except VGP)
- Locality equal area plot (MOSTLY)
- Add stratigraphic plot (MOSTLY)
- Import/export, including all versions of 2G and MagIC (IN PROCESS)
- Copy/cut/delete from LSQ list window (Delete added, d32)
- Add new means/VGPs manually (so can show a reference direction) (DONE)
- Add Watson (non-parametric) statistics (DONE)
- Add printing sample IDs on side of strat plot
- Add tilt correction with fold axis
- Save layout in preferences (allow opening a sample to open multiple windows)
- Add sites from samples
- Locality strat plot
- Clean up annotations, J/J0 plot and Locality EQ area.
- Clean up zooms
- Multi-plot printing
- Print a zoomed view properly
- Window list, bring all to front command (Mac)
- Add lines/points showing current fit on Orthographic and EQarea plots
- Add dual geo and strat points to EQarea plot
- Add traditional J/J0 plot (against my advice...-this isn't a very helpful
- 3.1b5 (13 June 2016)
- Fixed some odd issues that had cropped up in 3.1b4. Supports hi resolution ("retina") screens. 64-bit versions should be faster (though PaleoMag does not demand much of modern computers). Compiled with Xojo 2016r1.1.
- 3.1b4 (7 June 2016)-withdrawn due to problems
- Recompile. This does drop recognition of resource forks (it was too painful to specially code it up as the compiler language had dropped direct support). The binary i/o needed for the 2G format was changed; I made shorts into unsigned int 16s and longs into signed int32s. This could be wrong. Added big icons.
- 3.1b3 (10 May 2013)
- Simply a recompile with latest version of compiler (2012r2.1) to help iron out bugs from newer OSes.
- 3.1b2 (14 June 2009)
- Fixed bug where internal change for 2G formats from mass to volume led to an overlong string being output which makes the new output file useless. Compiled now with RealBasic 2009r1.
- 3.1b1 (24 October 2006)
- Added contextual menu to permit batch hide/show steps from LSQ and sample
Fixed bug in reversing directions in LSQ fit acceptance window
Added non-parametric ("Watson") statistics
- 3.1d40 (14 October 2005)
- Fixed editing a 2G sample (we hope).
- 3.1d39 (15 September 2005)
- Fixed error introduced in d38 reading Means file
- Added link to online QuickGuide as help
- 3.1d38 (12 September 2005)
- Adds ability to change declination for CIT format files
- Adds Common Means test in Statistics for Means files
- 3.1d37 (4 February 2005)
- Fixes black screen using 2G format data
- Adds spherical standard error circle option to Fisher mean
- Can customize points plotted in LSQ EQarea window
- Fixes failure to quit all windows when closing when site window was invisible
- Fixes error in direction of mean direction plotted when pole added to Means
- 3.1d36 (11 October 2004)
- Fixes loss of color info to the site equal area window.
- 3.1d35 (9 October 2004)
- Added ability to input a direction to a Means file directly
- Display modern day axial dipole position
- Reversal test uses plane data same as equal area plot
- Miscellaneous bug fixes
- 3.1d33 (8 June 2004)
- Extends colored background to whole image when printing equal area plots
- Statistic summaries printed for least-squares equal-area plot
- High resolution (printer resolution) used for printing equal area plots
and orthographic plots
- Copy/cut/paste of sample steps to and from list window added
- CIT format bug removed (edited samples had the moment a column too far
to the right). Note that this fix could in very rare instances make editted
CIT files from previous versions be misread
- Added MAD threshold preference. Automatically hides measurements with a
MAD above specified value.
- Label points option added to all equal area plots and orthographic (control
through preferences by screen, print, and copy)
- User-controlled symbol sizes for equal area and orthographic plots (from
- Locality List window accessible from Window menu
- Print, copy, save as added to locality equal area (though still primative)
- Added symbols to means list
- Means now given a legend when LSQ equal area plots printed
- Modern dipole plotting option added for equal area plots
- 3.1d32 (25 May 2004)
- Adds clear (in the Edit menu) for LSQ list window.
- Fixes (finally!) the
missing display of statistics in the LSQ Equal Area window.
- Fixes bug where
selecting "LSQStrat Window" from the menu while that window was
open would crash the program.
- Sorting in the LSQ window and Locality window
both use numerical sorting of sample numbers instead of the old lexical
- Added check when saving LSQ from Current Fit window to see if the
id matches an existing ID. Allows for replacing that id.
- Deleted a potential
bug that could have caused some info added to LSQ fit window to be a
pile of duplicates of the same fit (not seen in practice, but the potential
appears to have existed).
- 3.1d31 (18 May 2004)
- Changes Edit behavior to only change the version in memory; saving is now
at the user's discretion.
- "Dimples" in red dot (close button)
for OS X implemented in Sample List, Site, LSQ, and Means windows.
where sample magnetic declination was not being copied fixed (might have
affected some things with 2G format, though we don't think so).
build with RealBasic 5.5; first Linux version.
- 3.1d30 (14 May 2004)
- Fixes serious bug in Edit Sample that occurred when the user edited two
different samples from the same List window.
- 3.1d29 (17 November 2003)
- Fixed numerous problems with magnetic declination not being propagated
- 2G files now use local (sample specific) magnetic declination.
- Autofill of missing core or tilt-corrected directions now uses magnetic
- Magnetic declination shown in sample info pane in sample list
window (since can vary from sample to sample).
- Edit Sample dialog permits viewing either in magnetic or true north coordinates
- Edit Sample permits the directions to be recalculated from a specified
direction type (core, geographic, or stratigraphic). We still do
not support fold axis plunge corrections,
so use the editing options with care (you'll lose any corrections
that used a fold axis plunge if you edit directions).
- Edit Sample dialog plots tilt-corrected, geographic, or core coordinates.
hemisphere for core coordinate equal area plot fixed.
- 3.1d28 (16 November 2003)
- Fixed some odd bugs in Edit Sample option.
- Added reversal test to the LSQ Equal Area plot
- Auto fill missing core and/or tilt corrected directions when CIT formatted
files missing those are input.
- Made shortcut keys work on PC (alt J and K) for next/previous sample
- Terminal font used in Windows List window
- Bugs when opening files on PC fixed
- Fixed id text in Locality EQarea from floating around when window resized
- Added resizing of plots that were not zoomed when window is resized (this
has made J/J0 and strat a bit uglier at the moment)
- Strat plot functionality
turned on for non-CIT formats
- Fixed failure to print full width of panes of strat plot
- Fixed poor graphics
on strat plot (but still a workaround for a RealBasic bug)
- Added Copy Special to Strat Plot to allow user to copy figure to clipboard
with a specified strat interval/cm of plot.
- Added Edit Sample and Edit Locality options (Note that
magnetic declination is allowed to be edited but should be treated with
formats use this to correct the stored orientation of the core. Properly,
changing this should force all the saved declinations to be adjusted in
all the sample
files for those formats. Right now, this isn't implemented).
- Added creation
of .SAM files for non-CIT formats
- On Macs, new .SAM files have proper creator code.
- Bugs producing "Couldn't find .SAM" and other noxious things with LSQ EQarea
- Bugs in trying to open sample data by double clicking on LSQ List lines
or points on LSQ EQarea plots should be much better if not totally solved.
- Colors and symbols used for means now stored in Means file
- Means print now.
- PC style carriage returns should be better supported. Use of Mac text files
on a PC should work.
- Fixed bug preventing clicking on point in EQarea, JJ0plot, or Orthographic
plot from selecting/deselecting point.
Fixed bug causing crash when adding a new LSQ fit while LSQ EQarea plot open.
Forced StratPlot to include new LSQ fits
Fixed bugs making printed strat plots look bad.
Trial code inserted to get around inability to double-click the LSQ EQarea
points when statistics and StartPlot are both present.
Added copy and save as... to strat plot (but the graphics are still horrible!)
Fixed bug preventing Means window from being used
- 3.1d24 27 July 2003
- Added Stratigraphic plot
Changed building of list of demag steps for
locality equal area to survive likely foul ups.
Added double click in locality EQarea opens that sample's list window
Can open Locality EQarea window from other sample windows.
Animate Locality Equal Area Window button added
Long version info added to About PaleoMag Window
- 3.1d23 6 June 2003
- Read 2G Binary data files (.DAT files)
Added Locality Equal Area Plot
- Fixed missing arc plots for some plane or circle fits when viewed as arc
Loads strat level if not already done
Added export to delimited text file (from sample list window)
- 3.1d20. 3 May 2003
- Added plotting of plane or circle fits as arcs (in addition to poles) on
LSQ equal area plot. This includes having the points used in Fisher Line+Plane,
Line+Arc fits shown as open symbols on the plane or arc
to make a hidden point invisible from the LSQ list window.
Added new USGS
(.JRA format; documentation to come).
Adds means list window, can save means
to any open lists window, and means windows can be saved. Any number of means
can be plotted to LSQ EQ area plots.
Points derived from plane or circle
fits in making a Fisher Hemisphere (autoreverse) Line+Plane or Line+Arc fit
now are shown in the proper hemisphere in the Statistics Detail Window. These
can be saved to the .LSQ file and are treated as lines for most other operations.
Fixed failure of Bingham ellipse to print or be copied.
- Removes annoying popup of LSQ Equal Area window when statistics on and
selecting points on LSQ List
Fixes anchor to origin fit text summary (which deleted last point)
Fixes crash when demag summary in .LSQ file exactly 7 characters
Adds arc bounds for fits from "Current Fit" window
Fixed forgetful dialog when changing the nature of the Current Fit window,
also removed distracting "3 points" for that window.
- (PC) fixes crash when saving LSQ files.
- fixes crash on mousing over phantom data points
improves window update when using next or previous sample commands
- fixes inability to open .LSQ for .APP format
corrects bedding orientation in .APP format
first compilation in RealBasic 4.5, which might fix or break things.
- Adds ability to read Univ. Wyoming APP format.
- 3.1 d14 (d13 was an interim build not generally released)
- Fixes crash when using next or previous sample in J/J0 plot
- Adds component J/J0 plot (click on components button at top of
window to select desired components)
- Updated J/J0 to allow user to copy both plot and data when selecting copy
from the edit menu, and copies both plot and data when a panel is dragged
from the plot onto a droppable window or desktop.
- Fixes erroneous polarity of geographic least squares fit in some circumstances
- Fixes failure to print when user hasn't yet gone through print setup menu.
- 3.1d12 8/30/02
- Fixes crash when unable to recalculate arc constraints on plane or circle
fits when opening .LSQ file, also corrects crash from recalculations that
the code should have been able to make.
- 3.1d11 7/12/02
- Fixes failure to save LSQ fit IDs made in "Current Fit" properly.
- 3.1d10 7/8/02
- J/J0 plot added (single pane; multicomponent coming).
- control-click on an invisible point in the Sample List Window will make
it visible again.
- 3.1d9 7/5/02
- Preferences capability added. Colors user specifiable for both global
defaults and site-specific preferences.
- About PaleoMag added, includes a link to this page and email shortcut.
- Zooming on plots in Windows might work better.
- 3.1d8 7/3/02
- New compiler. Sorting in list and LSQ list windows improved. Double click
speed from user restored.
- 3.1d7 3/10/01
- Fisher Hemisphere, Line+Plane, Line+Arc added
- Double-click on point in LSQ EQarea, LSQ list windows brings up that sample
with proper selection
- Bingham Line+Plane bug fixed
- ID now saved with LSQ fit properly
- Arc constraints on least-squares plane and circle fits calculated (and
generated for old fits lacking them)
- More balloon help
- Statistics now automatically shown in panel at top of LSQ EQ area plot
- Closing LSQ window no longer stops LSQ EQ area plot from changing selection
- 3.1d6 3/1/01
- Bingham statistics added
- Statistics Detail window added
- Next/Previous sample now preserves view type
- Files with blank lines/extra carriage returns should read properly
- 3.1d5 2/12/01
- Cursor now changes when zooming in equal area, orthographic windows
- "Current fit" window shows least-squares fit interactively.
- Next and Previous sample commands added (with smarter memory of selected
- 3.1d4 10/19/00
- Fisher statistic added (just "as lines"): updates live as points
selected. Error ellipse copied, printed, etc with plot.
- PC version now will show point ids, does not update colors (except in
ID pane) until window resized
- PC version will do zoom with shift-click
- can get to Ortho or EQarea windows directly from each other in menus
- bugs: PC version doesn't sort; PC version doesn't highlight points or
recolor automatically, PC version List Window doesn't automatically accept
keystrokes (or know capitals vs lowercase letters) [unclear yet if later
builds using RealBasic 3 solved these problems].
- 3.1d3 9/3/00
- Added EQarea plot
- Added LSQ Equal Area plot
- Fixed bug where input files with spaces in numbers would be read wrong
(e.g., "- 12.1" was read as 0, not -12.1).
- Added sorting retaining selection in least squares window of listboxes
by using SortableListBox by Amar Sagoo
- Demag step list allows keystroke beyond last sample to extend a range
to the last demag (e.g., A-Z will select all demag steps of a sample with
26 or fewer demag steps).
- Hiding/showing LSQ fits added
- 3.1d2 8/21/00
- Zoom and scroll implemented in Orthographic window
- Enabled least squares fit from Orthographic window
- Will now make a new (empty) .LSQ file if none exists and LSQ is requested
- LSQ List openable from Orthographic window
- LSQ window scrolls to show new fit
- Known bugs: can overzoom (won't see anything); printing zoomed Orthographic
Window does not print zoomed image
- 3.1d1 8/10/00
- Initial version, with locality, sample list, orthographic, and least squares
- Old release comments:
14 October 2005. 3.1d40. Fixed bug in editing 2G files (this also meant we've
expanded internal representation of samples to include all the 2G fields).
15 September 2005. 3.1d39. Fixed bug in 38 reading Means files. Added link to the QuickGuide as help.
12 September 2005. 3.1d38. Adds ability to change the magnetic
declination for CIT format files. This is a pretty profound change and will
not propogate to any means files made from the uncorrected data. Added a Common
Means test for mans selected from a Means window (in the statistics menu).
4 February 2005. 3.1d37. Fixes for black screens when using
2G format data. Spherical standard deviation added to Fisher statistics. Symbol
shape can be customized for LSQ EQ area window directions (through the Edit
menu from the Least Squares List window). Fixed failure to quit when LSQ windows
(only) are used and locality bedding was calculated (should also fix failure
to quit when .SAM file was changed but locality list window is hidden). Fixed
error in calculating a direction from a pole position added to the Means file.
11 October 2004. 3.1d36. Minor fix for wrong colors for site equal area window.
9 October 2004 3.1d35. Miscellaneous fixes. Added ability
to add mean directions from an existing pole or reference direction. Modern
day axial dipole field can be displayed on equal area plots. Reversal test
now will use plane data as currently specified as in the equal area plot from
which reversal test is called (as planes, best point on plane--which is kind
of a questionable test--or best point on arc).
8 June 2004. 3.1d33. Adds labels and
user-controlled symbol sizes to equal area and orthographic plots, also improving
their print quality. Means legend now printed for LSQ EQarea plot, and several
new symbols are added. A threshold now hides high-MAD measurements when a sample
is first opened. Copy/cut/paste added to sample list window. Several other
25 May 2004. 3.1d32. Adds clear (in the Edit menu)
for LSQ list window. Fixes (finally!) the missing display of statistics in
the LSQ Equal Area window. Fixes bug where selecting "LSQStrat Window" from
the menu while that window was open would crash the program. Sorting in the
LSQ window and Locality window both use numerical sorting of sample numbers
instead of the old lexical sorting. Added check when saving LSQ from Current
Fit window to see if the id matches an existing ID. Allows for replacing that
id. Deleted a potential bug that could have caused some info added to LSQ
fit window to be a pile of duplicates of the same fit (not seen in practice,
but the potential appears to have existed).
18 May 2004. 3.1d31. Changes Edit behavior to only change
the version in memory; saving is now at the user's discretion. "Dimples" in
red dot (close button) for OS X implemented in Sample List, Site, LSQ, and
Means windows. Bug where sample magnetic declination was not being copied fixed
(might have affected some things with 2G format, though we don't think so).
First build with RealBasic 5.5; first Linux version.
14 May 2004. 3.1d30. IMPORTANT BUG FIX: All versions
from 3.1d26 to 3.1d29 have a bug when editing two or more different samples
from the same List window (this
happens when you use the next or previous sample command). All edits after
the first will save the first edited sample's data into the other sample
files. You can recover the original data by going into the locality directory
and removing the newly created files and then renaming the "-old" versions
of the files to their original names. This version (d30) fixes this bug by
making the Edit Sample window modal. We also added a warning that the least
squares fits are NOT corrected for edits made to the sample. We will be revising
the code a bit more to make the save of the edited data to be at the user's
request and not automatically as is done now when you accept your changes
in the Edit Sample window.
17 November 2003. 3.1d29. Fixed numerous problems with magnetic
declination not being propagated properly. 2G files now use local (sample specific)
magnetic declination. Autofill of missing core or tilt-corrected directions
now uses magnetic declination. Magnetic declination shown in sample info pane
in sample list window (since can vary from sample to sample). Edit Sample
dialog fixed up to permit viewing either in magnetic or true north coordinates,
also to permit the directions to be recalculated from a specified direction
type (core, geographic, or stratigraphic). We
still do not support fold axis plunge corrections, so use the editing
options with care (you'll lose any corrections that used a fold axis plunge
if you edit directions). Incorrect hemisphere for core coordinate equal area
16 November 2003. 3.1d28. Fixed some bugs
with Edit Sample. Autofill CIT format files missing core and/or tilt-corrected
directions. Reversal test added (if someone has a good check case, especially
for the bootstrap code, we'd like to have it). WARNING: It appears
that there is a bug in the Edit Sample dialog that requires entry of core plate
strikes and bedding strikes in magnetic coordinates. We'll try and
get this fixed ASAP--there are some inconsistencies in the manner in which
things are dealt with in the code.
5 September 2003. 3.1d27. PC fixes to cure
crash when opening a sample file. Font in Sample List window set to Terminal
font on PC. Keyboard shortcuts for next/previous sample set to J and K instead
of + and -.
2 September 2003. 3.1d26. Lots of fixes and updates. Added
ability to edit .SAM file and core and bedding orientations within PaleoMag
(However: although you can change the magnetic declination,
this is not carried through to all places it should until version d38. For
instance, CIT format stores bedding and core orientations relative to magnetic
north, which means that a change in magnetic declination should change geographic
and tilt-corrected directions, and any least-squares fits from these. These
changes are not, at present, done).
.SAM files created for non-CIT formats. Strat plot enabled for non-CIT formats
tested for 2G binary (.DAT) format, so feedback welcome). Several interface
Return to main PaleoMag page
Return to C.H. Jones home page
Last modified at
Wednesday, December 7, 2016 2:52 PM