Tectonic History of the Western United States
GEOL 5690, Spring 2021
Meet: 10:10-11:00 am MWF (online, synchronous) until 4/7, then 10:10-11:50 M and 10:10-11:00 W
Jones, ESCI 440C, x2-6994, firstname.lastname@example.org
Text: Turcotte and Schubert, Geodynamics, 2nd or 3rd edition.
Baldridge, Geology of the American
Southwest is optional
Stüwe, Geodynamics of the Lithosphere:
An Introduction can be helpful
Schedule: Last time to turn in term project, 5/4 1:30 pm
- Wednesday, April 28: Elize and Keely present
- Monday April 26: Tyler, Vanessa, Shunjie and Stephen present
- Wednesday, April 21: Geodesy and neotectonics
- Monday, April 19: Neogene erosion (conclusion), Neogene volcanism and plate boundary evolution
- Cather, S.M., Chapin, C.E., and Kelley, S.A., 2012, Diachronous episodes of Cenozoic erosion in southwestern North America and their relationship to surface uplift, paleoclimate, paleodrainage, and paleoaltimetry: Geosphere, v. 8, p. 1177–1206, doi: 10.1130/GES00801.1. (Title kind of says it all).
- Images for Neogene erosion from class (28 Mb).
- Images for Neogene volcanism from class (29 Mb)
- Images from plate boundary evolution (6 Mb)
- Wednesday, April 14: Neogene erosion
- Monday, April 12: Paleoelevation (continued),
- Lechler, A. R., Niemi, N. A., Hren, M. T., & Lohmann, K. C. (2013). Paleoelevation estimates for the northern and central proto-Basin and Range from carbonate clumped isotope thermometry. Tectonics, 32(3), 295–316. (Keely, Shunjie, Vanessa)
- Snell, K. E., Koch, P. L., Druschke, P., Foreman, B. Z., & Eiler, J. M. (2014). High elevation of the “Nevadaplano” during the Late Cretaceous. Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 386(C), 52–63. (Elize, Stephen, Tyler)
- Handout on crustal geophysical methods
- Images from class (19 Mb)
- Wednesday, April 7: Paleoelevation
- Monday, April 5: Forces and Basin and Range extension
- Friday, April 2: Core complexes
- Images from class (16 Mb)
- Turcotte and Schubert, pp. 226-229 (section 6-1, 6-2)
- Rheology of the lithosphere handout
- (Baldridge sec. 8.4)
- Buck, W.
R., Modes of continental lithospheric extension, J. Geophys. Res., 96,
20,161-20,178, doi: 10.1029/91JB01485,1991.
- Wednesday, March 31: Ignimbrite flare-up: Discussion of papers
- Best, M.G., Christiansen, E.H., de Silva, S., and Lipman, P.W., 2016, Slab-rollback ignimbrite flareups in the southern Great Basin and other Cenozoic American arcs: A distinct style of arc volcanism: Geosphere, v. 12, p. 1097-1135, doi: 10.1130/GES01285.1. (Tyler, Shunjie, Keely)
- Farmer, G.L., Bailley, T., and Elkins-Tanton, L.T., 2008, Mantle source volumes and the origin of the mid-Tertiary ignimbrite flare-up in the southern Rocky Mountains, western U.S.: Lithos, v. 102, p. 279-294, doi: 10.1016/j.lithos.2007.08.014. (Vanessa, Elize, Stephen)
- Monday, March 29: Rand/Pelona/Orocopia schists
- older readings, etc., in schedule
Final project 2021: Plateau Subduction and the Laramide Orogeny
- 4-6 homeworks will be assigned during the term
Handouts: (subject to updating)
Please send mail to email@example.com
if you encounter any problems or have suggestions.
GEOL5690 home | C.
H. Jones | CIRES
| Dept. of Geological
Sciences | Univ. of Colorado
Last modified at
April 28, 2021 10:05 AM