Practical Ref

From Jimenez Group Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

This page contains practical reference info for the Jimenez Group.


General Reference Info

Introduction to the Group

Logistical References



Shipping and Receiving

Under 150 lbs via FedEx, UPS or DHL

  • FedEx, UPS, or DHL are all comfortable delivering packages under 150 pounds directly to the CIRES message center.
  • It is not recommended for other freight companies deliver directly because they get lost on campus / block traffic.
  • The explicit address is:
    University of Colorado, Boulder
    Attn: (Your name)
    1665 Central Campus Mall
    University of Colorado - CIRES
    Boulder, CO 80309

Greater than 150lbs and/or shippers other than FedEx, UPS or DHL

  • The distribution center will call CIRES office to arrange delivery after they receive it.
  • Use the following address:
    University of Colorado, Boudler
    Attn: (Your name), CIRES
    3300 Walnut Street
    CU Distribution Center
    Boulder, CO 80301

Shipping large boxes from CU

  • You can work through the message center, or call the Distribution Services directly to arrange shipping.
  • They can provide recommendations for suggested shippers
  • Pickup of the item can be arranged at:
    • The CIRES Message Center for items less than 150lbs.
    • The Chemistry Loading Dock.

Instrument References

Group Instruments


User Manuals for Lab Equipment

Field Software and instrumentation manuals

Training Requirements

Travel and Moving Equipment

Distribution Services

Property/Equiment Management

  • Instructions to get rid of CU-tagged equipment - One method Or contact Rob Schubert our building manager and he will handle disposal.
  • Contact if you want to move the radioactive sources anywhere outside the lab
  • When taking equipment (>$5000) to field site, submit an Off-Campus use form with CIRES Property Management

General Travel Information

Traveling Abroad

    Long-Term Travel (>6 months)

    • CU employees who will work abroad for >6months - need to contact Risk Management (workers comp, etc.)

    International Travel Tools and Resources - From the Office of Risk Management (10/2014 email from Carolyn Peet)

    For all employees at the University of Colorado Boulder As A University employee, there are international travel tools and resources available as you prepare for your international travel.

    • As of 8.1.14, the University now provides international travel medical and evacuation insurance coverage for all CU employees travelling internationally on university business authorized by their CU department. The insurance coverage is through Geo-Blue.
      • You should register on-line at with the CU Access Code: QHG99999UCBT.
      • Print your CU ID Card from the Geo-Blue -needed for medical treatment or emergency services while traveling.
      • There are a host of additional services to assist you in your travels and you only need to register once.
      • This insurance covers the employee from start to end of trip, even if you have a few days off in country prior to starting or after ending your CU authorized business.
      • Copy of the GeoBlue User Guide, which you can also download after registering.
    • Additionally, the Risk Management website provides travel tools and resources at One of those resources is the CU International Traveler Letter attached to this email and included in all international travel itineraries when your travel is booked through Christopherson Travel Agency. The letter contains critical information regarding travel and GEO-Blue.
    • Lastly, the University retains an additional international evacuation and emergency service travel consultant through International SOS (ISOS). They assist CU employees and students with emergency services such as; lost passports, on-the-ground country specific information, and/or if seeking safety/security advice.
      • If you choose to do so, you can register an "Emergency Record." The Emergency Record allows you to store and access vital health, contact and vaccination information and important documents and images on a secure, easy-to-use website. It also contains an interactive vaccination management system that will remind you when your boosters are due and make appropriate vaccination recommendations based on your type of travel. The Emergency Record is accessible in emergencies and can be used to determine the best care for you.
      • You can also login to ISOS using the CU Membership #11BCAS000006. They will have your travel information in a CU traveler database and able to assist you in case of an emergency.
      • If you would like a laminated ISOS membership card, just let me know your campus box number, or you can print a card and/or download an app from the membership page.

    Charging/Reimbursement for International-specific Fees

       e.g. Visa fees, immunizations, malaria prophylaxis, etc.
    • Charge to Travel Card or personal credit card (no PCard)
    • Submit/Allocate with Travel Voucher (TV) form; Use Expense Type 700300 = "International Travel".
    • Travel card charges needs to be allocated within 90 days (submit additional TV before end of trip if needed)

Rental Cars

  • An easily-printable summary of the policies around vehicle rental and insurance can be found here, and taking a hard-copy printout is recommended for travelers renting cars while on CU business.
  • Current information on renting cars can be found here:
  • Cars from a preferred vendor, reserved and paid on your CU-issued travel card, are insured via Visa's Collision and Damage Waiver
  • The easiest way to reserve a rental car is on Concur. That ensures you are guaranteed the State contract prices and insurance coverage.
    • If you are using a contract vendor (listed on the State Auto and Truck Rental Site) they will provide the Collision Damage Waiver/Loss Damage Waiver (CDW/LDW) insurance to you since you are a state employee.
    • If you are using a non-contract vendor then you can use your state travel card and that will still cover the CDW and you should accept the Liability insurance and explain it on the travel voucher.
  • For in-town trips, Zipcar has been much more convenient. Anne has an account.
  • CARS (per email from CIRES Travel 10/28/14)
    • "When booking the rental car through Concur specifically, CU employees and non-CU employees do not need to be on the rental car agreement. But if the employee is getting a rental car from the airport and they choose to use their CU travel card, then all drivers do need to be listed on that Contract.
    • If the car is booked through Concur then there won't be an extra driver fee, but if you use your travel card at the airport then you can incur that extra driver fee charge.

Rental Trucks

  • TRUCKS: The only company for Rental Trucks that includes CDW/LDW insurance is Budget, and only when using the State if Colorado Commercial Rental Agreement codes (see below) and your CU Travel card. Rental Trucks from other companies are NOT covered by the insurance on your travel card you must take out supplemental insurance from the rental truck agency. (per email from CIRES Travel 10/28/14 and information on CO Commercial Rental Agreement from Transportation Services 10/2014)

    Are there any special requirements for renting a truck?

    • As of 2022, there is no special training required to drive rental trucks (per Brenda Murphy, Transportation Office Supervisor). All of the info below about CMV training only applies to CU-owned trucks, which we don't have access to.

    What is CMV training?

    • CMV stands for "Commercial Motor Vehicle" training. It is not the same as a Commercial Drivers License, though the requirements and training are similar.
      • Since CU is recognized by the Department of Transporation as a "Commercial Entity," any driving done for official purposes in vehicles (or vehicle/trailer combinations) with a GVWR of 10,000lbs or greater fall under DOT regulations.
      • If driving a vehicle requiring CMV traing greater than 90 miles from CU boulder, when crossing state lines, or requiring more than 8(10?) hours of driving in a day there are even more requirements that must be met (in particular a DOT medical exam, and a drivers log book).

    Who in our group has CMV training?

    • Currently only Anne has CMV training.

    What does it take to be CMV certified at CU?

    • First you have to take the Defensive Driver Course offered for free through Transportation Services. This takes 4 hours and is offered regularly
    • After completing DDC, you will require Specialized Training for the type of vehicle you wish to use.
      • This "training" is really more like a driving test by a Transportation Services examiner.
      • You will be required to walk the trainer through the CMV inspection process, and then take a driving test.
      • We need to provide the vehicle, plus the cost of the examiner's time (as of 6/2014 it was about $90 per test).

    Where can I rent a Lift-Gate truck from?

    • In general, a Liftgate truck will likely require CMV training (see above)
    • Transportation Services has provided a link to the State of Colorado Commercial Rental Agreements.
      • Using the information on this page, state of Colorado discount rates and benefits are available.
      • Currently they use Budget Trucks.
      • There is no mileage charge, and insurance is included. Rental must be made using a CU Travel Card.
    • When placing orders under this agreement you must provide this Budget Truck Discount Code: 56000133710
      • Part of this agreement includes the Collision/Loss Damage Waiver (CDW or LDW), and indicates that the vendor shall not charge the CDW/LDW fee.

    Can't I just rent a truck with my own credit card and ignore all this CMV stuff?

    • No. This would be contrary to CU policies and DOT regulations, and if it were discovered that you used a vehicle that requires CMV training it could cause problems
      • If anything were to happen (i.e. an accident), you could be denied insurance coverage because you were not following the rules.
      • If it were discovered that you rented a vehicle for university business and were nor properly trained, it could cause the University trouble with the department of transportation.

    Why doesn't the rental company stop me from renting a truck if there are all these requirements?

    • The rental company has no burden to know that you are operating the vehicle for a company that is governed by the DOT regulations - that's your responsibility. Many companies are not "DOT entities," and do not have to follow these rules.
      • The DOT would undoubtedly love for everyone to have this level of training, but it's not feasible for them to make everybody get a commercial drives license to use a rental truck (or pull a trailer).
      • Probably due to budgets and feasibility, they tend to target large corporations and/or corporations that have a "commerical" driving aspect to their business and require them to become "DOT entities."

Insurance: On-Campus/Shipping/Off-Campus


Key Contacts

    • Ted DeMaria (, 303-735-3739) -CIRES Property accounting and Inventory.

    CU Risk Management

    • Tara Lindsay (, 303-492-1906) - Director of University Risk Management, Boulder Campus Operations
    • Gary Longfellow (, 303-860-5676) - Director, Insurance and Claims Administration
    • Frank Hammitt (, 719-255-3525) - Risk Analyst

CU's Insurance Policy

  • The University is mostly self-insured. That means everything under the value of 500,000 USD will be replaced by the University itself and only for larger amounts, a claim is made with an external insurance company (FM Global). For smaller losses, our group may be expected to pay, and the university may ask CIRES to cover moderate/small losses. The rules seem generally complicated/vague, Risk Management informed us that if we demonstrate due diligence, the University will probably cover it in the end; however, when in doubt contact the appropriate admin.
    • Note that CU Insurance only covers items owned by the University, or items that are on loan with a formal loan agreement from the vendor or entity that owns it.
    • The CU insurance usually covers and item "while in our custody," meaning that when shipping an item they stop covering it once it is received by someone else, and don't start covering it again until we receive it once it is returned to our custody.
  • There is a CU deductible: $2500 (CIRES generally pays that out of pooled funds). However, often when shipping with a commercial shipping company you can take insurance for just $2500 to cover that deductible (it will generally only be a few dollars).
  • CU will cover destroyed/stolen items at their replacement costs. In the event that we need to replace one or many items, we would probably need to demonstrate the replacement costs, for example with quotes for larger items
  • Power surges are covered.
  • Car Rental Insruance: see #Rental_Cars above.


Shipping and Deployment in the Field

  • When shipping items off-campus you need to fill out an "OFF-CAMPUS USE OF UNIVERSITY EQUIPMENT Form" for "equipment" which are items of value >$5k. See further details and example here under "Property". Additionally you should report the total value of the items being shipped since non-equipment items may likely be a significant portion of the total.
  • For shipping, coverage only exists when transported by a regular carrier or a commercial airline. Open ocean/offshore is excluded (unless by inland waters or by coastal shipments). Open ocean, off-shore policies have to be taken out separately. This would include transport on a cargo ship as well as deployment on a ship. Also, URM has created an ”Ocean Cargo and Off-shore MOU” which allows for CU departments to pay a premium for a specific shipment (See form here.). Premiums start at $2500 for up to $500K then for >$500K up to $1M it's 0.15cents/$100 (if <$1M, consult Tara et al.; may need different arrangements). In the case of GVAX it was cheaper to go with a 3rd party insurance carrier (that ARI arranged); although may be more reliable to stick with CU. In the case of international shipping, once the equipment is in the foreign country, it is covered by CU property insurance.
  • Is flying equipment in research aircraft during field experiments covered by CU's insurance? Both in the continental US, over the ocean, and overseas are covered. A recently updated MOU (Jan. 2012) now includes the research property flown in research aircraft. Unlike the Ocean Cargo, there is no additional premium for this coverage. The limit is $1 mil (with $2500 deductible).
  • Flying cargo on a military aircraft: for now CU will temporarily self-insur cargo on military aircraft, for values up to $1 million in one shipment. If you have any such shipment valued at $1mil or over, be sure and contact Tara et al. well ahead of time to discuss alternative methods of insuring over the $1mil value. Please keep in mind that this is a temporary solution—they’re working on a long-term solution for cargo on military aircraft. Tara will keep us informed on that progress (13 April, 2012).
  • Driving equipment in rental or private cars is covered by the CU insurance. Tara specifies that: "I would like to know in advance of any equipment being delivered by CU personnel that has a value of $1mil or more. But again, that’s not a requirement for coverage, it’s to ask and discuss what loss prevention techniques that the person doing the transport will have in place to help prevent a loss".
  • Given the uncertainty and inability of Risk Management to provide us with specific documented or "hard-and-fast" rules, the general approach is to talk to Sarah Guthrie (CIRES message center) or Ted Demaria and they would contact the Risk Management Department discussing the details of the journey and the deployment. The threshold for contacting Risk Management is ~100,000 USD and also for everything that is a bit more unusual which would include deployment on a research aircraft. In such cases, likely Risk Management would contact NCAR/NOAA/NASA etc. See link of "CU Property Insurance Information" above for specific exceptions to CU coverage (such as open-ocean or blacked-out countries).
  • If we use equipment on loan (sans visiting researcher), i.e. it is in our care the CU insurance covers that equipment. Moreover, if we bring loaner equipment off-campus, we need to include that in our insurance/off-campus reporting. Conversely, if we loan equipment to another institution or company (and are not there ourselves using it), CU expects THEIR policy to cover it. So in such cases ask Ted to contact his counterpart at that institution. An example of the above is the HAIS-ToF-AMS, which belongs to NCAR but is in our custody and thus is covered by our insurance.
  • Customs declarations do not count for insurance. CU will cover destroyed/stolen items at their replacement value.
  • Mobile Road Laboratories (such as ARI's): CU’s property coverage applies to equipment in mobile road laboratories.
  • Attaching/Installing equipment on ships and aircrafts: What is our liability coverage in case we damage an aircraft with our installation? Tara's response: "The University of Colorado’s General Liability insurance affords coverage to defend the University and its employees acting within the course and scope of their University employment against claims brought by third-party claimants, in the event of alleged acts of negligence or omission. For further information, see our website at: Am I correct in assuming that ship and aircraft owners’ personal would be providing instruction on how to safely attach the instruments? If so, as long as you follow their direction, that should avoid most, if not all, liability to CU."
  • See Insurance Q&A document from Tara Lindsay for further details on some of the above items here.

Pending questions about insurance of importance to our group:

  • Do other drivers need to be listed on the contract?? (must they go to the counter and show license, etc)??
  • If I use a preferred rental car company, but don't go through concur, are other drivers covered for free??

Usual Suppliers

  • Brechtel for flow splitters, Y's, laminar flow elements, control valves, etc.

Guest Internet Access

  • Guest internet access for university wireless OIT website
  • Guest Identi-Key (for access to non-public facing webpages ie: library resources) OIT website

Poster Printing

  • The cheapest and usually easiest way to have a poster printed is through the CIRES IT office. Email with a PDF and speedtype. They get busy before major conferences (AGU, Rendezvous, etc), so be ready a few days early.
  • Megaprint Email them the file and they will fedex the poster to any location.
  • Poster Session

Group Meeting

  • See JG-Schedules

Local Seminars

Science and Publication References


Info for Field Campaigns

Packing lists for field campaigns

Information Regarding Specific Campaigns

Group FAQ's

For Grad Students: Which Courses Should I Take?

  • A "research course" specific to our group is CHEM-7131: Seminar on Atmospheric Aerosol Chemistry; Catalog Link

Research FAQs

Facilities/Computer Trouble Ticket submission

  • Anne is a good first point of contact, however if Anne is not available or it is an emergency situation, below are links to various Help Desks:
  • CIRES IT Help Desk - E-Mail Trouble Ticket submission for computer related issues.
    • Helpful with CIRES related services (web, wiki, CIRES custom VPN, Network connectivity in CIRES space, etc)
    • Also provide general computer help
  • Facilities Management - Trouble Ticket submission for building related issues.
    • Submit building/facility related issues here (e.g. baseboard heaters in my office don't work, Water faucet not working in lab, water dripping from somewhere, light bulbs need replacement, etc).

Computing FAQs

Where can I get help with a computer issue?

  • Email

Where can I print?

  • We have a group printers in Cristol 334 and Cristol 441A, which can print double sided and color. If you need to print to it from a new computer you can use these instructions to access the printer in Cristol 334 or 441A, or download the drivers from the HP web site.
  • If the printer is low on paper, you can get more from the CIRES copier room on the third floor (it is covered through the CIRES office supplies policy).
  • If the printer complains about low toner, get the toner out and shake it as this often prolongs the life of the supplies (try not to get the ink all over yourself as I often do).
  • If shaking the cartridge doesn't work, change the toner, and MAKE SURE THAT WE HAVE ANOTHER NEW TONER CARTRIDGE OF THAT COLOR. If not, please let Anne know so that she can order a replacement. The printer will not print if any of the toner cartridges are empty. In particular, it will not even print in B&W if one of the color cartridges are empty. For this reason we need to always keep one spare of each toner, otherwise we may be stuck without a printer for several days.
  • Toner cartridges are very expensive (hundreds of $$) and we change them often, so they are a significant cost for the group. There are restrictions on how to pay for them, so please conserve them by not printing unneeded stuff (e.g. don't print a 100-page report if you really only need to read two pages), and print in B&W if you don't need color.
  • It is ok to print small numbers of pages for personal use, but not very large documents.

How do I print to the CIRES Copy Room Printer/Copier/FAX/Scanner on the 3rd floor?

The Printer/Copier/FAX/Scanner in the CIRES Copy room is a Konica/Minolta bizhub C454e. You will need to download and install the Konica/Minolta biz C454e drivers. After installing the drivers you will need to "Add a printer" in Windows. Once configured per the instructions below, printing to this printer will cause a dialog box to appear asking you to enter information. Leave the "Department" box blank, and enter the appropriate printer code (see Grants+Email sheet in JG_Organization) into the password box and click OK. Your document should then print.

IP Address:

  • Adding this as a printer in Windows 7
    • Start ->
    • Devices and Printers ->
    • Add a Printer ->
    • Add a local printer ->
    • (bottom of window) create new port ->
    • Standard TCP/IP Port ->
    • Next ->
    • Enter the ip address for the printer in the top box (
    • Allow the "Port Name" box to autofill -> Next ->
    • Review the information and if correct -> Finish ->
    • Select "HP" in the left box, and find the Model "4520 Series" in the right box for CIRES 2 (or select HP Universal Printing PCL6 for CIRES 4 HP4700DN) ->
    • Select "Use the driver that is currently installed (recommended)" if available, otherwise let the driver install -> Next ->
    • name it something appropriate (e.g. CIRES-CoprRoom) ->
    • Do not share this printer -> Next ->
    • Uncheck "Set as defualt". Do not Print a test page at this time ->
    • Finish. Now you need to make some configuratoin changes to allow entry of the copier code ->
    • Start ->
    • Devices and Printers ->
    • Right click on the printer you created above (e.g. CIRES-CopyRoom) and select "Printer Properties" ->
    • Click on the "Setting" tab ->
    • Check "Verify Authengication settings before printing" and "Popup Authendication Dialog when printing" Leave the other options with their default settings.
    • Click "Apply" ->
    • Click the "General" tab and press "Print Test Page."
    • An authentication dialog box should pop-up. Leave "Department Name" blank, and enter the appropriate "Copier code" in the "Password" box.
      • You may press the "Verify" button. If you do, and if you have entered a proper copier code you should see a box that says "Verificaton has succeeded." Click "OK" ->
    • Click "OK"
    • You can now go check if your test page printed and pick it up from the copier room, or you can use the next set of instructions to check the Printer's web page to see if the document printed
  • Checking the Copier/Printers "Job History" to see if your job printed. ->
    • Open a web browser and type in the address bar ->
    • Enter an appropriate "Copier code" in the password box and press enter (or press the "Login" button) ->
    • Click the green "Job" tab ->
    • Select "Job History" on the left menu bar ->
    • You should see something similar to this image list of jobs. Note in this picutre, the job with no "type" and "Deleted due to error" in the "Result" column is an example of what happens if you try to print a test page before selecting the options for "Popup Authentication Dialog when printing," or if you enter an improper printer code for a print job. You should see "Jose Jimenez" in the "Type" box, and "Job Complete" in the "Result" box for a successful print job.

How do I transfer large files securely via CU's file transfer system?

How can I do conference calls and/or share screens?

How can I create an email list?

How can I edit a page in this Wiki?

Hardware & Instruments FAQs

How do I buy supplies for research?

  • You will need an Acquisition Card (A-Card) in order to be able to buy research supplies. For this see Dawn Williams. Every time you buy something on the card, you get an email with the date, purchase item, and amount. The receipt needs to have the exact same amount as the A-Card email, otherwise someone will ask you to get a new receipt with the correct amount.
  • Every month put together a report in Concur. Talk to Lab Assistant for help.

How can I get office supplies?

  • We can get office supplies (for research use *only*) through CIRES. We don't pay for them directly since they are covered by the research overhead (so we pay for them indirectly anyway). CIRES keeps some of the most common supplies in a small room at the CIRES Message Center (3rd floor).

Travel FAQs

What do I need to do to travel on CU funds?

  • First, familiarize yourself with the CIRES Travel policy.
  • Second, you need to get a travel authorization using the CIRES Travel Authorization Web page.
  • Third, after receiving the travel authorization email, you can get a plane ticket from Christopherson Business Travel or reserve online in the Concur System (goto your page, clicking on the CU Resources tab, and selecting Concur Travel & Expense).
  • You can reserve hotels directly and pay with them with your personal credit card or the travel card
  • For rental cars, they HAVE TO be purchased with the travel card, declining insurance, and from an authorized vendor (AVIS works)
  • For more detailed in formation, check out CIRES Intranet Travel page (have to log in)

Professional Association FAQs

Which professional associations should I join?

  • We very highly recommend AGU and AAAR. The next most interesting possibilities are ASMS, ACS (especially if you are in chemistry), AWMA, and AAAS (you get the journal Science with the latter). Other possibilities include AMS, ASME, AIChE, etc., but they are less relevant unless you are in those Depts.

Group Restricted Pages

Group Activities