Panoramas around the western U.S. and New Zealand
There is a mix of newer non-QuickTime panoramas with a bunch of older QTVR panoramas. You might need to get a QuickTime plug in for your
browser for the older panoramas. Beware--some of these are kind of large (I need to work on the compressions
used). Sizes are indicated.
Non-QTVR (Flash/HTML5) panoramas (work on iDevices)
I don't list the size of these as they are served up as a bunch of smaller files, but should generally be under 10 Mb.
- Sawtooth Peak, Sequoia National Park, California
- View across the upper Kern to Whitney and basins near Mineral King. 1 August 1981.
- Bighorn Plateau, Sequoia National Park, California
- John Muir Trail on the Bighorn Plateau. 10 August 2016.
- Forester Pass, Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks, California
- Views south over the upper Kern and north across Bubbs Creek country. 9 August 2016.
- Glen Pass, Kings Canyon National Park
- Above Rae Lakes and Bubbs Creek drainage. 8 August 2016.
- Pinchot Pass, Kings Canyon National Park
- Views of the uppermost South Fork of the Kings and Woods Creek. 7 August 2016.
- Lakes Basin, Kings Canyon National Park
- Headwaters of the South Fork of the Kings River. 6 August 2016.
- Bench Lake Ranger Station area, Kings Canyon National Park, California
- In the upper part of the South Fork of the Kings River. 6 August 2016.
- Evolution Valley, Kings Canyon National Park, California
- From the outlet of Evolution Lake. 3 August 2016.
- Red Cones, John Muir/Ansel Adams Wildernesses, California
- From the summit of the South Red Cone. 27 July 2016.
- Eagle Peak, Yosemite National Park, California
- View of upper Yosemite Valley and the high country beyond. 11 December 1990.
- Redrock Canyon State Park, California, GEOL 4717/5717 trip
- View of the Ricardo Formation, 22 March 2011.
- Panamint Valley and Range from Slate Range
- Views of Panamint Range, Searles Valley, Slate and Argus Ranges, 22 March 2011
- Aguereberry Point, Death Valley National Park, California, GEOL 4717/5717 trip.
- View of Panamint Range, Death Valley and ranges to west, 24 March 2015.
- Furnace Creek to Golden Canyon diversion, Death Valley National Park, California.
- Just above Zabriskie Point showing the incision into the Furnace Creek Wash by the diversion. 29 March 2017.
- View from Hole In The Rock, Death Valley National Park, California
- Just south of the Furnace Creek Fault and the Funeral Mountains. 29 March 2017.
- Kingston Peak, Mojave Desert, California
- A view of much of southeastern California. 20 January 1984.
- East of Toroweap Point, Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona, clearing storm, GEOL4717/5717 2017 trip
- View from viewpoint east of the Toroweap campground. 31 March 2017.
- Meteor Crater (Coon Butte), Arizona, GEOL4717/5717 2003 trip
- 360° View from the high tower viewpoint of the crater and surroundings. 23 March 2003.
- Hurricane Cliffs, GEOL4717/5717 2017 trip
- View from top of Hurricane Cliffs looking west during presentation. 30 March 2017.
- Hurricane Cliffs South, GEOL 4717/5717 2015 trip
- View from top of Hurricane Cliffs over Lower Hurricane Valley, Utah, 26 March 2015.
- Maroon Bells from Crater Lake, White Mountain NF, Colorado
- The ever-popular Maroon Bells from their base at Crater Lake near foliage peak. 18 September 2014
- Missouri Lakes area, Holy Cross Wilderness.
- View from the summit of Pk 12,898 ("Lazy Dog Peak") just west of Missouri Lakes with a view over much of central Colorado. 20 July 2013.
- Mt. Lincoln, Mosquito Range, Colorado.
- View from the highest of this range's 14ers. 28 June 2014
- Torreys Peak, Front Range
- View from the summit of Torreys Peak on the Continental Divide. 28 July 2014.
- Arapaho Pass near Lake Dorothy, Continental Divide, Indian Peaks Wilderness Area
- View from a knob southeast of Lake Dorothy, 19 July 2019.
- Shoshoni Peak, Continental Divide, Indian Peak Wilderness Area
- View from near the summit, 15 August 2019.
- Notch Mountain, Continental Divide, Rocky Mountains National Park
- Views from summit above Helene Lake and just north of Flattop Mtn. 9 July 2016.
- Crystal Lakes, Lawn Lake, Fairchild Peak, Rocky Mountains National Park
- View from The Saddle trail near Crystal Lakes of upper Roaring River drainage, 22 August 2019
- Fairchild Peak, Mummy Range, Rocky Mountains National Park
- Composite views to west, south, and east, 22 August 2019
- Paradox Valley, southwestern Colorado
- 360° view from an outcrop of Paradox Formation within the valley, 12 July 2014
- Monte Forato and the Passo dell' Arco, Apuane Alps, Tuscany
- View in the front of the large arch with the norther summit in view. 26 July 2017.
- Key Summit, Routeburn Track, Fiordland NP, South Island
- Sunrise 360° panorama, 6 February 2016.
Older QTVR panoramas
I am working on a new set of panoramas that will not require the older QuickTime plugin as Apple abandoned the QTVR capability. These are generally indicated in the text describing the panorama.
- Alta Peak, Sequoia National Park, California
- Actually from the eastern end of the Alta Peak complex overlooking Moose
Lake, the Great Western Divide, and the Middle Fork of the Kaweah River drainage.
About 1.5 Mb.
- Upper Valhalla, Sequoia National Park, California
- From a short distance north from Precipice Lake, view over Upper Hamilton Lake to Alta Peak, July 2009, about 1.9 Mb.
- Tamarack Lake, Sequoia National Park, California
- Alpine lake near the northeastern headwaters of the Kaweah River, July 2009. About 4 Mb.
- Kaweah Gap, Sequoia National Park, California
- View down the Big Arroyo, across 9 Lakes Basin to the Kaweah Group, July 2009. About 11.5 Mb.
- Sawtooth Peak, Sequoia National Park, California
- View across the upper Kern to Whitney and basins near Mineral King. 2.5 Mb
- Mt. Whitney, Sequoia National Park/Inyo
National Forest, California
- Views of the Owens Valley, Sierra crest, upper Kern drainage and Great Western
Divide in this 360° image. About 3.1 Mb; image revised considerably August 2008 (old panorama still online for comparison).
- Sunrise, Mt. Whitney, Sequoia National Park/Inyo National Forest, California
- Better views of the area to the west than the panorama above. August 1982. 920 kB.
- Mt. Tyndall, Sequoia National Park, California
- Views of the Upper Kern drainage and Great Western Divide from the first
14er in the Sierra known to be climbed. 0.9 Mb August 18, 1982
- Mt. Keith, Kings Canyon National Park, California
- Spectacular views of all of Kings Canyon National Park and the north side of Mt. Williamson. 2.2 Mb, August 15, 1982.
- Long Valley from Bald Mountain, Inyo National Forest, California
- The Long Valley caldera, Mono Basin, and a long expanse of Sierran crest between Kings Canyon National Park and Yosemite National Park. 7.1 Mb, 16 July 2006.
- Yosemite Valley from Glacier Point
- View of Half Dome, Vernal and Nevada Falls, North Dome, Mt. Hoffman, Tenaya Canyon, and Yosemite Falls. About 4 Mb, 18 September 2005.
- Excelsior Mountain, Yosemite and Hoover Wilderness
- View of Sierran crest through Yosemite National Park, especially northern part of the park. 7 Mb, 1 July 1990.
- Northcentral Yosemite Park
- View of area from south of Benson Lake from near Murdock Lake, 1.3 Mb,
- Benson Lake and Northcentral Yosemite
- Merged panoramas so that Benson Lake and its canyon can be seen along with
the broader region from a spot a bit higher north of Murdock Lake. September,
- Mono Dome, Mono Lake
- Just west of Lee Vining, views of Mono Lake and surroundings. About 8.6 Mb, 18 June 2006.
- Carson Pass, central Sierra Nevada
- View of Red Lake Mountain area across towards Kirkwood and Sierra crest
to south. About 5.6 Mb, 9 October 2006.
- Southern Sierra Nevada from the east
- View from the Cerro Gordo Road (east of Owens Lake) to the Sierra. About
1.4 Mb, 25 March 2003.
- Panamint Range and Valley, Argus Range
from Crowley Overlook
- The Panamint Butte area, Telescope Peak, and Matarango Peak on the west
side of Death Valley National Park. About 750 kb.
- Aguerberry Point, Death Valley National Park
- A view from the Panamint range of the GEOL4717 presentation on 26 March
2003. About 1.6 Mb.
- Death Valley Cinder Cone
- In the southern part of Death Valley, this cinder cone has been split in
two by motion on the southern Death Valley Fault. About 1.8 Mb, March 2002
- Amboy Crater, Mojave Desert
- A little south of I-40 just off old route 66, Amboy crater is a young cinder
cone in the desert. About 1.8 Mb, 24 March 2003.
- Gulf Escarpment, northern Baja California
- From the road between Tecate and Mexicali. About 4.8 Mb, 10 January 2006.
- Laguna Salada Fault, northern Baja California
- On the trace of the fault about midway along the Laguna Salada. About 8.7
Mb (sorry), 10 January 2006.
- Laughlin Bluffs, southern Nevada
- Bluffs exposing sediments interpreted to recap the integration of the lower Colorado River . About 4.8 Mb, 25 March 2007.
- Grand Wash Cliffs, northwesternmost Arizona
- View of the cliffs on the west side of the Colorado Plateau from the South Virgin Mountains of Nevada. About 4.3 Mb, 29 March 2007.
- Grand Canyon from Desert View,
- Views of the eastern Grand Canyon from Desert View, eastern Grand Canyon
National Park. About 1.2 Mb, March 2000
- Grand Canyon from Toroweap Overlook, northern Arizona
- Western Grand Canyon (including Lava Falls). About 8.8 Mb, 30 March 2007.
- Grand Canyon from summit of Vulcans Throne, northern Arizona
- Western Grand Canyon, including Prospect Canyon (south of canyon) and along Toroweap Fault. About 6.3 Mb, 30 March 2007.
- Hurricane Cliffs, northern Arizona
- Views of the Unikaret and Shivwits Plateaus from the Grandstand area of
the Hurricane Cliffs. About 1.7 Mb, 28 March 2003.
- Superstition Mountains
- Views of the eastern edge of the Tortilla Flat caldera, Superstition Mountains.
About 1.8 Mb, March 2002.
- Grand Falls of the Little Colorado River, Navajo Nation/northern Arizona
- View of the falls where the Little Colorado River first enters the Grand Canyon system. 25 March 2007.
- Meteor Crater
- Views from the viewing platform on the crater's north rim. About 1.8 Mb,
23 March 2003.
- Escalante Overlook
- On Hwy 12 between Escalante and the Escalante River, views over the sandstone
region around the Escalante River. Escalante-Grand Staircase National Monument.
About 1.3 Mb, March 2002.
- Waterpocket Fold
- At the overlook up Upper Muley Twist Canyon, views over the fold to the
Henry Mountains. Capitol Reef National Park. About 1.2 Mb, March 2002.
- Delicate Arch
- From the overlook on the Delicate Arch Trail, view of Delicate Arch, La Sal Mountains, and 2 other arches. Arches National Park, about 8.9 Mb, July 2006.
- Goosenecks of the San Juan
- From the state park overlook. Monument Valley and Chuska Mountains in distance. About 5.5 Mb, 23 March 2007.
- Mesa Verde
- Cliff Palace Ruin from the northern end (first stop on the hike into the ruin). July 2006. About 4.7 Mb.
- Oh! Point, San Juan Mountains near Silverton,
- a 360° view of the San Juans near Engineer Pass, Uncompahgre Peak, with
views of the Grenadier Range, etc. Small (linked above) is about 800 kb, large
view is 2.4 Mb.
- Silverton, Colorado
- View from the highway to Durango. About 6.6 Mb.
- Carbondale Collapse Center, Glenwood Springs, Colorado
- A view from the edge of a back-tilted terrace of the GEOL4717 presentation on some salt tectonics along the Roaring Fork. About 4.5 Mb; 31 March 2007.
- Missouri Lakes area, Holy Cross Wilderness.
- View from the summit of Pk 12,898 ("Lazy Dog Peak") just west of Missouri Lakes with a view over much of central Colorado. 18 Mb. 20 July 2013. Non-QTVR version now available.
- Torreys Peak, Front Range
- View from the summit of Torreys Peak on the Continental Divide. 3.4 Mb. Non-QTVR version is available (better for iDevices). 28 July 2014.
- Satanta Peak, Indian Peaks Wilderness.
- View from a peak just north of Caribou Pass with views of Caribou Lake and the Indian Peaks on the Continental Divide. Also views over Middle Park. 1 Oct. 2010. About 5.3 Mb.
- Mt. Audobon, Indian Peaks Wilderness
- Views to SE, S, and SW from Audobon in a partial panorama. 200 kb.
- Isabelle "Glacier", Indian Peaks Wilderness
- View from the lateral moraine on the east side of the glacier (which is likely now a perennial snowfield). 24 Sept. 2010, about 5.3 Mb.
- Arapaho Glacier, Indian Peaks Wilderness
- View from the southeast of the glacier, the peaks above and drainages below and the surrounding regions. 13 July 2012; about 5.5 Mb.
- Little Blue Lake (Mt. Toll), Indian Peaks Wilderness
- View from near Little Blue Lake under Paiute Peak
- Timberline Falls, Rocky Mountain National Park
- Falls between The Loch and Lake of Glass in Glacier Gorge area. 24 June 2013; about 5.2 Mb.
- Notchtop Mountain, Helene Lake, Rocky Mountain National Park
- Views from a knob above the trail over Helene Lake and including Flattop, Odessa Lake. 7 July 2013; about 2.9 Mb.
in the works
- Hobbiton, Matamata, North Island
- The movie set, rebuilt and expanded for The Hobbit movies. 1.65 Mb, 9 January 2013.
- Farewell Spit and Cape Farewell, South Island
- The northern end of the South Island, from near the lighthouse above Pillar Point. 5.1 Mb, 5 January 2013
- Torrent Bay, Abel Tasman National Park, South Island
- One of the bays of this national park (though the water a bit muddied after flooding a few days previous). 1.2 Mb, 5 January 2013
- Kairkoura, North Canterbury, South
- a 180° view from the Kaikoura viewpoint back toward town and harbor
and the Seaward Kaikouras (and the Hope Fault). 1.8 Mb, 1 January 2001
- Wellington, from Wind Turbine to
- a near 360° view from the wind turbine on the ridge to the southwest
of town over the harbor and to the South Island. 1.4 Mb, late December, 2000.
- Rainbow Ski Field, Marlborough District,
Nelson Lakes National Park
- 360° view from the crest of the St. Arnaud Range over the ski field,
across to Mt. Angelus, and down to Lake Rotoiti and St. Arnaud. 2.1 Mb, Mid-December,
- Rainbow River/Wairau River confluence
- 360° view of the area where the Rainbow and Wairau Rivers meet, east
of Nelson Lakes National Park, off the Wairau-Hanmer Springs road. 1.6 Mb,
- St. Arnaud Range, Nelson Lakes
- 360° view from near Mt. St. Arnaud on the edge of Nelson Lakes National
Park, showing the Wairau (Alpine) fault, the Wairau River valley, and Lake
- Awatere Fault, Tarndale area, Molesworth
Station (near Nelson Lakes National Park)
- 360° view of Awatere Fault (from on a scarp) where the Rainbow-Hanmer
Springs road crosses the fault. 2 Mb, late December 2000.
- Hope Fault/Alpine fault junction
- 180° view of where the Hope fault and Alpine faults come together. 1.4
Mb, 3 January 2001.
- Mt. Cook, Mt. Tasman panorama, West
Coast (Glaciers area)
- View from the viewpoint to the west of Fox Glacier. 5 January 2001.
- Waimakariri River view, Arthurs
Pass National Park area
- Partial panorama from where the road first encounters the Waimakariri River
(when coming from the east).1.1 Mb, 3 January 2001.
Please send mail to firstname.lastname@example.org if you encounter any problems or have suggestions.
C. H. Jones | CIRES | Dept. of Geological Sciences | Univ. of Colorado at Boulder
Last modified at
Friday, 10 April, 2020 2:15 PM